Please, only submit during open periods. Submitting outside of open periods will result in your submission going to the great bit bucket in the sky. You will not receive a reply.
Rules 2 & Up:
Most of this is standard verbiage for current pro or semi-pro authors.
- Use standard manuscript formatting, Times New Roman, 12pt, double-spaced.
- Single space after punctuation.
- Edit your work before submitting it. We will also edit, but a shoddy submission will most likely get rejected.
- We use Submittable for manuscripts. You will need an account there (submittable.com). Some folks may have a problem getting an account. You can directly contact the appropriate editor for an anthology or send an email to editor (at) this website.
- Royalties are calculated in June and December.
- Payment can be via PayPal or check, your choice, in US funds.
- Payment rates, general (Note that specific information for an anthology open call overrules these rates):
- Poetry: 5 cents/word, up to $20.
- Flash Fiction: 5 cents/word, up to $20.
- 10-Pack Flash Fiction: For some 100-word anthologies, ten accepted flash fiction stories will be considered one complete short story and paid $60 (6 cents/word rate).
- Short Stories: 6 cents/word, up to $180.
- Novels: $2000 advance against royalties.
- Graphic Novels: Negotiated individually.
- Reprints: Generally paid at 1 cent/word.
- Artwork: Negotiated individually.
- Poetry: First World Rights, exclusive for 2 years.
- Short Stories: First World Rights, exclusive for 2 years, may be used in a personal collection after one year if self-published.
- Novels: First World Rights, exclusive for 6 years.
- Poetry and short fiction are flat rates or as negotiated.
- Novels and graphic novels are paid royalties as negotiated.
- Author Copies
- All authors will receive a personal copy (usually digital).
- Authors will be able to purchase discounted copies of print anthologies (exact printing cost + exact shipping + $1).
- All sales to authors or promotional copies do not count towards royalties.
- If a manuscript is not accepted, you will receive a form email. Please add VillainousPress.com to your approved email list.
- Accepted manuscripts require a personally-signed contract. Using a handwriting font is not acceptable. Digitally signed PDFs are acceptable.