Steampunk: The Other Worlds
Publisher: Villainous Press
Working Title: Steampunk: The Other Worlds
Submission Period: January 4th, 2014 to February 28th, 2014.
Publication Date: January 1st, 2015.
Assigned Editor: Sam Knight
Status: Slush reading, editing. Expect contracts early May for acceptances.
Standard manuscript format, these files acceptable: .doc, .docx, .rtf
Required story elements:
- Protagonist is either a (strong, empowered) female OR an under-represented race (Black, Hispanic, Middle-Eastern, Asian, Native, etc.)
- The setting must be anywhere EXCEPT on Earth. Please worldbuild so we can “see” your setting.
- You may mix in dark, horror, mystery, romantic, fantasy, or science fiction elements, as long as it doesn’t overpower the theme of steampunk.
- This is a Steampunk anthology, so there must be Steampunk elements. A bit of electricity or dieselpunk is acceptable, but the majority must be steam-oriented.
- A solid plot involving a conflict of some sort. Make your “villain” believable and a good match for your hero.
- Stories must be between 2,500 words and 8,000 words, strict.
- If you use science, get the details right.
- You can use magic (if explained and the ground rules are set) and Aether if you are using it for propulsion or airships.
- A poorly edited submission will be rejected. Clean up your mess before submitting. Yes, it will be edited by no less than two editors, but if we run out of red ink, we’ll be annoyed.
- Submissions via Submittable or email. A link is located below this open call.
- World first rights for print and digital. If your story is astounding, send it to Asimov’s or Clarkesworld first. Bear in mind that most publications will not publish pieces that have been published in print, eBook, or on the web, so for all intents and purposes after your work is published by us it can only be marketed as a reprint, which severely limits the number of markets that will accept it, and drastically reduces the pay rate it can receive. It is up to you, the author, to decide if publishing your work in print and/or eBook formats and/or on the web, giving up your First Publishing Right for no and/or a token payment, is really what you want to do.
- Sorry, no reprints.
- Expecting a 60-day turnaround. Simultaneous submissions accepted, but if we want it and it was already sold (and you didn’t pull your story), we’ll be annoyed. Be professional.
- Query after 60 days.
- From 2,500 to 6,000 words: $15US plus a copy of the print edition. For countries other than the United States, $15US plus a copy of the digital edition.
- From 6,000 to 8,000 words, $25US plus a copy of the print edition. For countries other than the United States, $25US plus a copy of the digital edition.
- Payment via Paypal or US-drawn check
At the end of your submission, include a maximum 150 word bio written in third-person.
Anthology is currently closed.